Saturday 10 September 2016

ESEA Open Player Interviews - Preseason

With the season just around the corner, I wanted to interview some players who Ether and I think have potential to have a great season. I asked the players about themselves and their teams. 





Apt - Scout for Anal with Alan



How many seasons of ESEA have you played?


Well, I've only played one actual full season, which was last season on system2. However, I have backed up for the 2 seasons prior to that on both El Classico and Seal Squad, and played a couple matches for each team.


What is your favorite way of practicing outside of scrims?


My favorite ways of practicing outside of scrims are playing in DM servers and playing Quake Live. I can't really decide between the two.

What role of scout do you play, and makes you prefer that role over the other?


I play flank scout, and the reason I prefer this role is because I'm a pretty aggressive player. With playing combo scout comes the responsibility of protecting our medic from danger, and that's not really something I like having to do all the time.


What is the chemistry like between this team and system2?


Well, overall I would say that the chemistry for this team is far better than the chemistry on system2 from last season. Some of the players on system2 last season had quite a few commitments that needed to be attended to that took priority over TF2. So, despite us playing for an entire season together, we never really were able to fully synchronize with one another. This team doesn't seem to have the same kind of issue of players needing time away from the game to take care of more important matters, so I'd say currently that the chemistry is really good, and I can only imagine that it'll improve as the season moves along.


What are your expectations for your team this season?


I'd be lying if I didn't think we'd be able to easily make playoffs this season, but how far into playoffs we'll get is anyone’s guess. I definitely think we can make top 8 at least though.

Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to Vari, Saturn, Troopo, Vosic0, Freederf, Yimi, Connor, Wrech, Air, ChrizTahFah, Sneaky, and Bear. Oh, Def and Punisher, too.






Viper - Roamer for MIGOS



This season you are maining roamer, but in the past you have mained pocket - what made you make the switch?


I actually played roamer s18, and on Barely Alive s22 (when elliott was playing pocket). In the past, I played pocket s19, s20 (got cut), first half of s21 but the team died, so I finished s21 for a team on pocket as well. The main reason I am roaming because I roamed s22, but also because odb is a monster pocket and his gunboats pocket exceeds mine and compliments our teams fast playstyle.
Do you like to offclass at all, or do you leave that to your scouts?


I'll ask my team if i should offclass to a pick class during stalemates, but I mainly leave the offclassing to dippidy. I mostly run sacs and coordinate double sacs with the flank.


What would you rate this team compared to your past teams?


I’d say we’re definitely one of the better teams in open, and this is personally one of the best teams I’ve played on, cohesion and skill wise.


Having played several seasons of open before, how would you compare this season’s competition to the past?


The competition is much lower in open this season, with a lot of the more solid open teams being moved into IM to supplement the lack of teams there (which is why a lot of people would argue that we should play IM). However, there's a few players on our team that don't want to play IM yet, and would rather play open and learn more.


What are your expectations for your team this season?


I’d say we’re top 8 right now, but we definitely have the potential for top 4, especially if we pick up the right scout.


Shoutouts?


5:43 PM - viper: shoutout to space ghost
5:43 PM - viper: shoutout to pr
5:43 PM - viper: i got more
5:43 PM - viper: just doin hl


5:43 PM - viper: gimem a sec
6:01 PM - viper: shoutout to alanny 6:01 PM - viper: shotuout to malestrom 6:01 PM - viper: shoutout to park 6:01 PM - viper: shoutoput to caps squad





Conal - Pocket for Eels and Escalators



What got you into competitive and when was your first season?


I wanted to try something new, and play something other than pubs. It seemed really fun especially since my first season, season 22, was with a team of a bunch of friends.


What is something that makes you stand out as a player, in and outside of the game?


I don’t try to make myself stand out that much, so not too many people know me because of it.


As far as pocketing goes, who do you look up to and why?

I really liked grape because of the style he played.



What is it like playing with your team and how do you compare this one to your last one so far?


As for any newly formed team, we are very uncoordinated, and some people don’t get along the best; however, this team is better than our last one. My only remaining teammate (ats) and I are improving, and getting a lot smarter.


What are your expectations for your team this season?


Since this season is a bit easier with all the IM move ups, I think we can finish top 10 - but it all depends on the good teams.


Shoutouts?

Shoutouts to all my comp buddies: ats, rowpeices, rain, reno, indecency, blaine, aquila, windcubes, and dgitl.





Windcubes - Demo for Yarn




How many seasons of comp have you played and when was your first season?


UGC and ESEA combined, I have a total of 3 seasons, and this season will be my fourth. My first season was UGC Silver 6s s13.


Has demo always been your main class and if it hasn’t, why did you change to demo?


I was a soldier main before I played comp, and I started playing demo when I started ESEA because I couldn’t separate the pub from comp playstyle mentality. Also, demos were rarer from what I'd heard. Originally, I wanted to switch from roamer to pocket but soldier wasn’t as fun, so I switched to demo.


What is your favorite part of playing demo?

My favorite parts are projectiles (only because I’m not good at hitscan), not having to ever offclass, traps and rollouts.



What do you want to improve on the most this season?


I want to work on my gamesense and positioning.


What are your expectations for your team this season?


It’s too early to tell; I know that most of them have more experience than me, but scrims are showing that we aren’t too far apart. I’m just hoping for less FFL’s this season.


Shoutouts?


My ex-teammates ATS, Aquilla, and Conal; going to be facing them pretty early this season. Also B3arodactyl and SleepingLife, my two mentors (if you can call them that).





Charis - Med for BLANC lite



How long have you been playing competitive and how did you get started?


I started playing UGC steel in 2010 after pubbing for like a little under a year. I had a friend recommend that I try comp, so I was like "sure," got on a steel team, and played until Feburary 2011 in UGC. I took a break from video games until about last year around May when I graduated HS, and came immediately back to comp TF2 because I remembered how fun it was. I’ve been playing med in the open-IM range since about January.


What is your favorite part in playing medic?


Just being a huge part of the control of the pace of the game. I think the med is the backbone of the team. The game is really centric around ubers and whatnot. I just find joy in med that I think some people don’t really get: being able to support your team in a way that the fragging classes really can’t. Not to mention surfing and dodging are fun in their own way.


How involved are you in the comms of your team?


I’m not the maincaller, so I dont talk that much. Our pocket and maincaller, Tery (who is phenomenal btw), really keeps us in check and keeps the train rolling. I’m always calling advantages, etc. The standard stuff. I'd like to say I’m really good at getting my teammates to come over to me when I want specific players in ubers, so I think it’s a good system overall.


Speaking of Tery, what is it like playing with a pocket who has so much experience?


He’s awesome! He's obviously very smart, has a lot of experience, and it’s always super nice having another teammate that knows exactly how the pace of the game works; he always knows what to do and when to do it. I’m fairly certain it’s his first season on pocket (he played in IM with our parent team, BLANC esports), and he honestly is adapting super fast. I think that after a not-so-large amount of time, he will become a super contender for one of the best pockets in open.


What are your expectations for your team this season?


I think we honestly stand a really good chance this season at playoffs or better. All of our players are super committed and have high aspirations. I personally have a huge drive to improve, and get as far as I can before it’s all said and done. Open is not nearly as strong as it was in previous seasons I played, so I think this really could be our chance to bust out as a unit and get things done.


Shoutouts?

gravy, snarf, exile, fusionn, & my dearly beloved slin (especially that one)


No comments:

Post a Comment